Required Training for Initial Birth Doula Certification
- An NCB approved foundational birth doula training that includes the core competencies of:
- Perinatal counseling and support services
- Labor support
- Infant care
- Cultural competency/Cultural humility (a minimum of six hours)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance (a minimum of 30 minutes)
- Trauma informed care (a minimum of four hours)
Please note, if your foundational birth doula training does not include the minimum hours required for cultural competency/cultural humility, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance, or trauma informed care, you must complete one or more separate trainings in that topic.
Pre-approved Foundational Training in the Core Competencies (perinatal counseling and support services, labor support, and infant care)
Fees for Birth Doula foundational training can range from $99 to over $1,000. Please subscribe to the NCB Mailing List to receive notifications when NCB learns of scholarships for doulas seeking certification. NCB currently accepts birth doula foundational training and/or birth doula certification from the following organizations.
Currently Expert Rating is the most affordable training for the core competencies, but does not include trauma informed care, cultural competency or HIPAA training. Please contact email@example.com for additional training options and stay tuned for website updates.
- Birthing Advocacy (BADT)
- Childbirth International (CBI)
- Childbirth Professionals, International
- Commonsense Childbirth, Inc. (Hybrid/Sacramento, California)
- Doula Trainings International
- Doulas of North America (DONA)
- Expert Rating
- Healthconnect One (Employer contract only)
- The Childbirth and Postpartum Professional Association (CAPPA)
- The International Doula Institute
- UNLV Beginning Doula Course – Birth Doula Certificate
- Well Rounded Momma (In-person, Las Vegas)
Additional training and certifications may be accepted pending review by the doula representatives of the NCB Curriculum and Continuing Education Committee.
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Training Options ($5-10)
HIPAA training from other reputable organizations or as part of a doula training are also accepted.
- HIPAA Privacy Rule and Sharing Information Related to Mental Health
- HIPAA: Secure Electronic Health Records