Requirements for Certified Prevention Specialists (CPS)
- Experience: 2,000 hours of prevention work experience specific to the PS domains, within the past seven years.
- Education: High school diploma or jurisdictionally certified high school equivalency. 120 hours specific to the domains, completed within the past five years. 24 hours must be ATOD specific. Six hours must be in prevention ethics provided by the Prevention Technology Transfer Center (PTTC) or Prevention Solutions and must have been completed within the past two years.
- Supervision: 120 hours specific to the domains with a minimum of ten hours in each domain within the past seven years.
- Examination: CBs must require all applicants to pass the IC&RC PS Examination.
- Code of Ethics: The applicant must agree to adhere to the NBC Prevention Specific Code of Ethics.
- Recertification: 40 hours of continuing education earned every two years, including 6 hours of training in prevention ethics.
- The acronym CBs used above refers to “Certification Boards.”