Requirements for Certified Prevention Specialists (CPS)
- Experience: 2,000 hours of prevention work experience specific to the PS domains, within the past seven years.
- Education: High school diploma or jurisdictionally certified high school equivalency.
- Prevention Training*: 120 hours specific to the IC&RC Prevention Specialist Domains, completed within the past five years. 24 hours must be ATOD specific. Six hours must be in prevention ethics provided by the Prevention Technology Transfer Center (PTTC) or Prevention Solutions and must have been completed within the past two years. As of January 1, 2024, all applicants for initial prevention specialist certification will be required to complete the Substance Abuse Prevention Skills Training (SAPST) as part of the 120-hour training requirement.
- Supervision: 120 hours specific to the domains with a minimum of ten hours in each domain within the past seven years.
- Examination: CBs must require all applicants to pass the IC&RC PS Examination.
Code of Ethics: The applicant must agree to adhere to the NBC Prevention Specific Code of Ethics.
- Recertification:A renewal fee of $100 and 40 hours of continuing education earned every two years, including three (3) hours of training in ethics related to the field of prevention/IC&RC Prevention Specialist Domains and three (3) hours of training in cultural competency/humility/sensitivity.
- Residency Requirement:You must live or work in Nevada at least 50% of the time to be certified by the Nevada Certification Board and to maintain that certification.
* For all continuing education hours, please submit a certificate of attendance or participation from an approved training organization that includes the following information:
- Name of training organization(s) and/or sponsor(s)
- Title of training/conference
- Date(s) of training/conference
- Name of participant/attendee
- Hours of attendance/participation
For all NCB initial applications and certification renewals, please allow up to ten (10) business days for approvals of any application steps/submissions in your online application in the Certemy system. If you have been waiting for more than ten (10) business days, please email NCB at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (775) 784-1282